Monday, October 08, 2007

Happy Genocide Day!


Photo stolen from here.

I think this "holiday" should be called "Be Slightly Ashamed of Your Italian Heritage Day," or maybe "Fuck Indigenous People in The Fuckin' Ear Day."
It's not breaking news that Columbus didn't discover shit, except maybe a more efficient way of killing people off en masse. Italians created the best thing in the world...pizza...and Italian-Americans (or at least a large contingent of them, to which I clearly do not belong) choose to celebrate a genocide rather than that? We can claim Michaelangelo and Leonardo Da Vinci, and you choose Columbus as your hero? That's fucking great, kids. Thanks a ton.
It's interesting to me that under international law, as established after the Yalta Conference in 1945, it is illegal to venerate or celebrate genocide and/or perpetrators of genocide. (Look it up, if you don't believe me. G'head.) And yet, here we are, in 2007, still waving flags for Christopher fucking Columbus. Do you think that someday there will be an Adolph Hitler Day, that includes a parade in New York City where the mayor marches along waving a Nazi flag?
I'd like to say I'm sure that won't happen, but we live in a world where Dubya got elected. Twice.

Hey, but you know what's awesome?? KITTENS!!! WOOOO!!!

Labels: ,

8 Comments:

Blogger GayProf said...

To be fair, W was only really elected once.

If we celebrate people who held other humans in slavery as "enlightened thinkers," it comes as little surprise that this nation would so unquestioningly celebrate ColumbAss.

10:52 AM  
Blogger Da Nator said...

I'm with you all the way here...

except what about Nazi kittens?

4:58 PM  
Blogger The Truffle said...

There is really only one reason for Columbus Day: so kids can get a day off.

I'm just sayin'.

2:02 PM  
Blogger dpaste said...

Um, yea kittens!

11:48 AM  
Blogger more cowbell said...

LOVE the pic. I just ranted about Columbus too. My daughter took it one step farther and did a one-woman protest in DC at a Knights of Columbus event. She drew some pretty hostile attention. One guy, she thought he was actually going to get physical with her.

I'm looking up the law you mentioned.

The White House's latest proclamations regarding this vaunted day? Yeah, they're actively supporting (condoning) it. Because if Columbus can run over the native population for gold ... well hell, we can do the same for oil. Bastards.

1:43 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

With you 100% here. Fucking genocidal maniac. Lancing babies, cutting off hands, decimating a population... Woo Hoo! How about celebrating da Vinci day? Stupid Fucks...

1:29 PM  
Blogger Big Dan said...

I'm pretty sure I could still take over Paris. I need my own holiday.

9:25 AM  
Blogger BigAssBelle said...

well he didnt' really get elected, though he did assume the office. it's a tragedy.

1:27 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Who Links Here