Monday, December 04, 2006

This is neither sad nor ironic...

Gay marriage is now legal is South Africa.

You remember South Africa, don't you? Aptly named little country located on the southernmost tip of Africa, which enforced a system of aparteid from 1948 until just 12 short years ago? You know, the government that kept Nelson Mandela locked up for almost thirty years, basically for being black? Yeah. That South Africa.

And here in good ol' America, land of the free and home of the gays...I mean, brave? Up here in America, in spite of a Constitution that is supposed to guarantee equal rights for all citizens and a purported separation of church and state, we've got laws against same sex marriage in...how many states now? Five? Twelve? Thirty-three? You tell me, kids. I'm too lazy and disgusted to look it up.

Awesome. Totally awesome.

11 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

19 states have bans.
43 have statutes that say "real" marriage is ONLY between two people of the opposite-sex.

I am going to go throw up my breakfast now....and then me and my "Life Partner" are moving to South Africa.

11:16 AM  
Blogger Yzerfontein said...

& the first gay marriage in South Africa took place last Friday.

11:29 AM  
Blogger Helen the Felon said...

I'm making you a t-shirt that says "George Bush gave me bulimia!"

And her in Amurrica, we call yer partners in sin "traveling companions," just so's you know, missy.

11:33 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh my...I had no idea I could blame my eating disorder on George Bush! Holy crap....do you think I could get government funding for treatment?!

Sorry about the language...I mean my "acquaintance, room-mate, friend and fellow hardware store enthusiast" and I are moving to South Africa.

12:35 PM  
Blogger dpaste said...

So, um, when are you gonna mention that you're appearing at the next WYSIWYG, or did you think we wouldn't find out about this?

2:42 PM  
Blogger Helen the Felon said...

Pixie girl: I think you should get FEMA money for your bulimia treatment, definitely. You'll probably have better luck getting FEMA relief than the folks in New Orleans, anyway. And I prefer to call y'all "Indigo Girls," mmmmkay?

David: Are you kidding? Chris would skin me if I didn't tell y'all! Announcement forthcoming...please stand by...

2:53 PM  
Blogger Big Daddy said...

Plus the dollar/rand exchange rate is 1:7. You can live like a 'queen' [pun intended] down there.

A friend of mine stayed there for a month on $300, and lived like a 'queen'.

6:44 PM  
Blogger Red Seven said...

South Africa -- who'da thunk it. Well, in its own way, it's a perfect thing. But South Africa has been my hero before.

Yes, apartheid was an evil thing, but ... the Truth & Reconciliation hearings that took place after the end of apartheid were genius. The USA is still reeling from the institutions of slavery and segregation, and South Africa is clearly on a different, and better, path.

7:56 AM  
Blogger Helen the Felon said...

Well said, Eric.

8:37 AM  
Blogger tomvancouver said...

South Africa has learned from their mistakes.

2:11 AM  
Blogger Helen the Felon said...

Yeah, it sure seems that way. I hope America does the same. Guess we'll find out in 2008.

10:46 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Who Links Here