Friday, April 28, 2006

Helen gets multicultural

I learned something yesterday. Or, more accurately, I decided something, based on something I already sort of knew. Allow me to elaborate...

A small jewel or painted dot worn on the forehead of a Hindu woman is called a "bindi." This is a highly sacred symbol of the female energy, which is traditionally believed to provide protection to a woman and her husband. Here's a lovely example...


Got it? Okay. That's the part I already knew. As for what I learned/decided...

A crappy plastic jewel, usually purchased at Hot Topic or some other such worthless suburban retail cesspool and unceremoniously stuck to the forehead of a bored, bourgeois neo-hippie wannabe fashionista dumbass with no shred of respect for the sacred nature of cultural and religious traditions other than her own, is called a "target."

Sadly, I lack a photographic example, as the one I encountered on the subway last night got away too quickly. Guess she was pissed about the meeting between my gum and her eyelashes. Bourgeois neo-hippie dumbasses are evidently quite sensitive.

9 Comments:

Blogger Big Daddy said...

Gwen Stefani wore one back when they started getting big in the 90's. Also, she wore one in the video for 'Oi! To The World'.

Madonna, too, in a David La Chappelle shoot for Details.

6:03 PM  
Blogger Helen the Felon said...

Well, there's all the proof I needed. Thanks kid!

6:05 PM  
Blogger Shan said...

Wow that's a pretty big bindi. It's usually much, much smaller.

Good on ya for broadening your horizons. But don't stop there. Next thing you know you'll probably end up over here in Borneo :D

4:22 AM  
Blogger GayProf said...

I feel much more informed now. In fact, I want to read more about the Bourgeois neo-hippie dumbasses and their natural enemy, Helen. I am off to the library.

11:04 AM  
Blogger Conor Karrel said...

I had pagan friends who wore bindi's (girls, I realize I need to clarify that being involved with wacky gay pagans and all), but they actually knew the cultural and religious significance, so I couldn't complain.

12:42 PM  
Blogger Big Dan said...

Now the way I see it , the example you show IS a target. I mean if she's into facials at all its either a bindhi or a massive massive target for man juice.

1:19 PM  
Blogger Limecrete said...

Ah, the pseudo-bindi. I feel the same way about the multitude of white-bread people I see with a "meaningful" Chinese symbol tattoo. Dude, you're from Missouri, and the last Asian ancestor you had was a hunter-gatherer named Ug.

4:39 PM  
Blogger P/O said...

i am holding fast to the belief that you truly did spit your gum out at that girl. please don't tell me otherwise. you are now officially one of my heroes.

12:20 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Hot damn..did you really spit your gum on that chick? Kudos..

8:51 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Who Links Here