Monday, March 20, 2006

Hate is a strong word

Sometimes, not strong enough.

In general, I hate memes. But I like Shan, and she's tagged me twice now, and I blew off the last one. And this one is about music, at least. And it saves me from having to put much actual thought into writing a post. So fine, okay, whatever. Here goes:

One song from early childhood: Goodbye Yellow Brick Road, Elton John (Yes, I know, I'm old. Fuck off.)

One song you associate with your first big love: Hysteria, Def Leppard (We were 14, and Shawn had the most amazing mullet...sigh...)

One song that reminds you of one of your holidays: Something I Can Never Have, Nine Inch Nails (San Diego, 1991...teen angst on a beach...Oh, the gheyness...)

One song you like, but hate to admit: MMMBop, Hanson (Again, I know, and fuck off.)

One song listened to while you where lovesick: Were I capable of such emotions, it would Losing My Religion, REM. Thank god I'm such a heartless bitch.

One song you listened to most often in your life: Watching the Detectives, Elvis Costello

One song which is your favorite instrumental: Miles Davis' Funeral, Morphine

One song by one of your favorite bands: Million $ Man, The Giraffes

One song in which you recognize yourself or through which you somehow feel understood: Probably Will, Concrete Blonde

One song which reminds you to a certain occasion (and the occasion): Party Up, DMX. Summer, 2001. Imagine ten or so extremely white, extremely drunk, heavily tattooed assholes sitting on the outdoor patio of a dive bar adjacent to a busy, smarmy, crime-ridden street. Imagine then that the biggest, drunkest, most brilliantly retarded of them, apropos of nothing, busts out with "Y'ALL GON' MAKE ME LOSE MY MIND!" And then, of course, that the remaining nine assholes respond, in unison, with "UP IN HEAH, UP IN HEAH!" Yeah, good times. Now perhaps you understand why I don't live in Denver anymore.

One rap/ hip hop song you like: Anything Public Enemy ever did.

One song that helps you relax: Magic & Loss, Lou Reed

One song which symbolizes a great time in your life: Coney Island, Death Cab for Cutie

One song which is your most favorite at the moment: Wish You All the Best, New Professionals

One song you would dedicate to your best friend: Megacolon, Fischerspooner

One song no one besides you likes: Yes, I DO have Insane Clown Posse in my iPod. And yet again I must say...fuck off.

One song you like because of its lyrics: Drooping the Boom, Mishka Shubaly

One song you like which is not in English: Anything by the Buena Vista Social Club. If I hadda pick one song off that record, it'd be Chan Chan. Or Dos Gardenias...hmmm...

One song that helps you work out: Like I work out. Ever. Pssh.

One song that should be played on your funeral: End of the World, REM (duh...)

So there you go, little missy. Tag me again and I'll fly over there & pee in yer yard, or somethin'.

And now, just to ensure my place in the American Museum of Hypocritical Shitwads, I'll share the joy with Aaron, Charles, Dan, Tom, and Natalie.

11 Comments:

Blogger Big Dan said...

Gay. Just like me. Be on the lookout tomorrow in the morning.

5:45 PM  
Blogger Shan said...

Hehehehe thank you for spreading the joy :D

...MMMBop? Okay at some point, we have to talk.

5:59 PM  
Blogger missbhavens said...

Don't nobody be dissin' the MMBop! I loves the MMMbop, too! yes, it is embarassing, but it's just so damn catchy...and those kids had such fabulous hair!

9:03 AM  
Blogger Big Dan said...

I really wanted to fuck that keyboard player chick from Hanson. Done!

11:20 AM  
Blogger David Amulet said...

I came your way via Rocky.

Funny, I also associate "Hysteria" with early love. Only mine wasn't with a mullet-wearing male--or any male, actually. But that's TMI, I'm sure.

Nice list. I had forgotten about some of these tunes ...

-- david

2:16 PM  
Blogger Joey Polanski said...

I wish fokes who SAY they hate these things realy DID.

6:16 PM  
Blogger Conor Karrel said...

Helen Damnation wrote: We were 14, and Shawn had the most amazing mullet...sigh...

I almost fell out of my chair when I read this!

Nice Helen, only you could bring this much humor into a music meme

7:43 PM  
Blogger alwaysanna said...

Up in HEAH! Up in HEAH!

Now the memories are flooding back to me too...

12:58 PM  
Blogger Da Nator said...

Old? Considering that "Photograph" was my Def Lep song of choice and I rocked a mullet myself at 14, it seems I am older than you.

Crap.

12:45 PM  
Blogger Big Daddy said...

Great. Thanks for getting MMMbop in my head. So I got one for you 'All the she wants, is another baby......all the she wants is another baby'. See, how you like it? :)

8:07 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

What is this "blog" of which you speak?

Sigh, I've been served.

1:55 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Who Links Here