Monday, August 08, 2005

Crappy ass crapola

This edition of I Wonder Monday pre-empted in deference to more important (and sad) news. Some crappy, crappy things have happened over the past few days, and I'm in no mood to make light of them.

Ibrahim Ferrer, the inimitable voice of the Buena Vista Social Club, passed away on Saturday at the age of 78. Several of the Social Club's greats are gone now...to be expected, certainly, based on the advanced ages these guys had reached by the time they hit it big in the U.S. Big losses, nonetheless. "Dos Gardenias" may be the most gorgeous recording in son history. Ibrahim will be missed.

So will Peter Jennings. That was kinda unexpected, huh?

In other crappy news...there was a gay bashing in Chelsea on Saturday. And a black man was a victim of a hate crime right here in Brooklyn on Sunday. Further evidence to support my argument that 90% of the population should be sterilized at birth. I can only hope that some stupid bastard attempts to put the hurt on me & my posse of queers on 8th Avenue. Be the last thing he does, I ga-ron-tee.

But hey, Shari Kurzrok got a liver. That's something. Makes me feel a tad less guilty about having a nice little weekend during which I clearly didn't watch the news at all. Oy.

Maybe I'm just tired because I have to be at my new job at 7:30 in the G.D. morning. Or maybe I'm bummed that Queer as Folk is over and Nate Fisher is deader than dogpoop. Might be PMS, even. But all I want to do is sit around with a pissy look on my face, eating grossly fattening food and not returning phone calls. Grrrr.

4 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

I hope you feel better, Kristin.

12:43 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Kristen,

Congrats on the new job! Hope the early mornings don't kill you. The racist and homophobic attacks this weekend were depressing to say the least. The AVP--Anti-Violence Project--in Manhattan actually--too only add salt to your wounds--announced that this summer alone there have been around 100 homophobic attacks on gay men and lesbians in the city. This number is much higher than other years, although it is common knowledge since Lawrence v. Texas settled rates of violence against queer folks have risen appreciably. Fun stuff, eh!

7:37 AM  
Blogger Helen the Felon said...

Who is this "Kristin" bitch? Der Bear, are you cheatin' on me?

Anyway, that's some seriously disturbing and sadly unsurprising news. I can't help but think that this rash of anti-gay crime is yet another reflection of our current administration's vitriolic right-wing leanings. But what do I know.

1:22 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Not to make light of the situation, but I was bitch slapped in Chelsea once. Yes, I do blame Bush.

Also, whenever I have to be somewhere in the Gawd A.M., I just don't sleep the night before. An option, perhaps?

10:50 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Who Links Here